The Reflections of a Digital Immigrant

The Awakening to this Other World of Learning...

Monday, February 25, 2013

Bullying

Over the weekend, I spent my time talking to my 8 year old nephew who revealed a very scary truth...he was the victim of bullying that has been going on for a couple of weeks. In between his tears, he was able to tell me how he felt, words like lonely, sad, confused appeared in conversation. He just could not understand why a child would chose to make someone feel this way. And he never said a word to me, until this weekend. He suffered in silence, playing alone in the schoolyard. As an educator, I have witnessed these events and tried to educate to empower the bystanders and the victims to have a voice. I just could not believe that the very things I fight against every day were the same voices that are now attacking my nephew. How can I protect him when I am not at his school? Why couldn't people at his school see his sadness? I can't help but wonder how many other kids are suffering in silence...how many of them are just not telling... I think as a society we are beyond bullying awareness. We all know that there are bullies and that there will be bullies. What we need to do is shift our thinking and raise awareness for the power of victims and bystanders. Let's create an education program that focuses on the power of bystanders and what they can do. Instead of focusing our attention in hoping that bullying goes away, let's educate others to look within themselves to create a difference for those who have been silenced, for those who don't have the strength or the courage to end their own personal turmoil. Let's raise awareness on what we can do as an individual, as a group, as a school culture, as a society. Only then, when the voices get louder will they be able to yell "STOP!" and for that message to be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment